Asbestos is a popular roofing and insulation material in the past. Its versatility and availability makes it ideal for these purposes but it has experienced a disfavor due to the health hazards that asbestos presents. Since people in the past were not aware of it, they didn’t have to worry about his problem. One of the most popular illness has take its namesake—asbestosis. There are other health issues associated with the substance that we will discuss later.
Due to this, there is a need for asbestos removal for home and buildings built before the 1980s. Since this material was popular before this time, homes built before this year would normally have asbestos in it. If your home was built before this year, you need to submit it to asbestos testing to make sure that you don’t have this material and if you do, to have it removed.
Health Problems Associated with Asbestos
When asbestos fibers get into the lungs, it causes all kinds of havoc. It can cause inflamation, scarring and eventually tumor whe not detected early. Here are the three main diseases associated with asbestos.
- Asbestosis—It is an inflamation in the lungs that causes shorness of breath, coughing and other problems associated with breathing.
- Mesothelioma—It is a kind of cancer that attacks the protective tissues surrounding the lungs.
- Lung cancer—This is the more popular among the three because it is common even among chainsmokers.
If you live in house or working on a building built before the 1980s, you need to be aware since asbestos was a very common building material back then. The good news is, those who got these diseasis in the past are usually:
- Asbestos transportation, mine and mill workers
- Workers of Asbestos products
- Families of asbestos workers
- People who live in proximity to asbestos mills or mines
This is primarily because their exposure to the substance is higher compared to those who are just in the home. This does not mean however that you have to take your chances. Its always better to be safe than sorry after all. People in the past are not aware of this and therefore didn’t have to worry about it. It was only later that people began getting sick that they realize the dangers associated with this substance that they began banning their inclusion in household building materials.